Animal Control Officer
The Orange County Animal Services Department has an opening for an Animal Control Officer. Animal Control Officers enforce State laws and local animal control ordinances, interacting with both animals and residents. The Animal Services Department has a strong emphasis on customer service and education. 75% percent of the work is performed away from the Animal Service Center.
The schedule is from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday. This position works after-hours on-call coverage, evenings, weekends and holidays, on a rotating basis. Officers must reside within 30 minutes of the Animal Services Center and be ready to respond within fifteen-minutes to all calls received from county communications (911).
* This is a safety sensitive position and participation in the Drug and Alcohol Program is required. Fitness for Duty Assessment required.
SALARY: $15.47 - $17.94 Hourly
$32,176.00 - $37,313.00 Annually
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and ordinances relating to the control and welfare of animals.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of animal control.
- Knowledge of specimen preparation, packaging, laboratory practices and physician protocols dealing with rabies.
- Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma and one year of experience of animal-related training.
- Requires strong effective verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to relay information to the public in a concise and clear manner.
- Requires the ability to work in direct contact with aggressive and/or injured animals.
- Prefer related experience and certification with the National Animal Control Academy (NACA) or similar certification programs.
- Requires the possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid North Carolina driver's license.
Orange County provides a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Participation in the North Carolina State Retirement System;
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Optional Life and Disability Coverage
- 401 (k) and 457 Deferred Compensation Plans
- Paid Holidays
- Annual Leave
- Sick Leave
- Various other leave programs including civil, funeral, parental, etc.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Women/Minorities/Veterans/Disabilities