Shop Mechanic Foreman
$2,000 Signing Bonus through September 2018!
General Summary of the Position: The Mechanic is responsible for the on-site and off-site maintenance and repair of company owned and rented construction equipment, trucks and vehicles. He is responsible for the organization, cleanliness and safe operation of tools and equipment in and around the shop and yard area as well as the mechanic’s truck. Follows all safety requirements and procedures outlined by all regulatory agencies and company policies.
Essential Functions: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.)
- Maintains, repairs and occasionally operates construction or power equipment, including but not limited to an excavator, grader, bulldozer, backhoe, front end loader, skid steer, asphalt paver, dirt/asphalt roller, asphalt reclaimer, soil stabilizer and asphalt milling machine.
- Maintains, repairs and occasionally operates jackhammers, saws and other small equipment and tools as required.
- Responsible for diagnosing and troubleshooting equipment failures, repairing and maintaining diesel and gasoline engines.
- Performs shop management functions such as maintenance scheduling and spare parts inventory control.
- Cleans equipment as needed to aid in diagnostic evaluation and repairs.
- Maintains and oversees on-site stock for the routine maintenance and repair of all fleet equipment, trucks and vehicles including but not limited to fuel, grease, oil, fluids, filters and small wear parts.
- Operates small electric and air powered hand tools including but not limited to welders, cut-off saws, drill presses, jacks, chain hoists, overhead cranes, vehicle lifts, grease guns, bench grinders, pressure washers, presses, and torches.
- Travels to remote locations or jobsites as needed for the emergency repair and maintenance of fleet equipment, trucks and vehicles.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards as determined by law, site requirements and company policies.
- Performs pre and post trip inspections of vehicles driven, equipment moved, and trailers towed, noting any defects or deficiencies both verbally and in writing.
- Employee may be sent to other facility locations and operations to perform duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Any combination of education and work experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the work as described.
- Mechanics must possess a minimum of 2 years of experience with heavy construction equipment repair and maintenance.
- Site excavation and/or paving experience is required.
- Valid and appropriate in-state driver’s license or the ability to obtain said license is required.
- Mechanics should possess or be in the process of acquiring the basic tools of the trade including but not limited to ¾” drive and under. A tool allowance is provided.
- Laundered uniforms and personal protective equipment are provided and must be worn in accordance with company policy.
- Employee shifts start and end at the division office/shop. Transportation to/from jobsites is provided.
- Projects may require infrequent out of town overnight stays.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Employment is subject to review of background check and drug screening. Ruston Paving Co. Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.