Substation Electrical Engineering Supervisor (Relocation Offered)
- Black Hills Energy
- Contract Type
- Full time
This important role will supervise engineers and technicians in the planning, design, construction, and maintenance of utility transmission and distribution substation facilities. Create specifications and design details for substation layout, foundation plans, equipment arrangements, and electrical construction. Oversee and manage the creation and documentation of utility drawings and design files, and direct personnel in their assignments and responsibilities. Lead and support other engineers and technicians in the safe and reliable engineering of utility projects and processes.
SALARY RANGE: $82,100 - $114,110 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager of Substation and Protection Engineering
LOCATION: Rapid City, South Dakota: You'll find that it is the ideal community to live, work and do business in. With hiking trails, the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park in your backyard, there are endless opportunities to enjoy nature.
- Rapid City - Hidden Gem of the West:
- Rapid City Chamber of Commerce:
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to: home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter's lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage and supervise the work of assigned direct reports such as engineers and engineering (CAD) technicians
- Engineer and design substation layouts and equipment upgrades.
- Create detailed foundation plans, material lists, and construction arrangement drawings.
- Design substation control systems, wiring diagrams, and cable details.
- Manage electrical construction projects including contractor site work, major equipment installation, and substation maintenance activities
- Lead planning, design, project management and oversight activities of assigned transmission and distribution capital projects.
- Develop and coordinate equipment standards and maintenance procedures.
- Plan, budget, direct, forecast and execute assigned capital and Operations & Maintenance (O&M) budgets.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and supervisory support to assigned engineering and technical staff in their efforts to meet Company and department goals.
- Contribute to the creation of department budgets and financial tracking activities.
- Support safety, diversity, and social responsibility goals of the department and company.
- Create and document regulatory compliance requirements and policies.
- Responsible for identifying and implementing continuous improvement initiatives.
- Provide leadership and engineering support as needed during outages and emergencies.
- Requires travel within the utility service territory and for support of corporate subsidiaries.
- Perform and supervise work on or in close proximity to energized electrical facilities.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering required.
- Power System emphasis preferred.
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) registration or the ability to become registered preferred.
- Five (5) or more years of engineering experience required.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in electric utilities preferred.
- Prior supervisory or project leadership experience preferred.
- Good working knowledge of the design and construction of electric utility transmission and distribution substations.
- Experience in construction management and project coordination.
- Strong leadership, financial and technical skills.
- Ability to lead and participate in cross-functional teams.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, and Power Point).
- Ability to learn and maintain proficiency with new systems and software as technology evolves.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently within scope, budget and schedule.
- Ability to coordinate and direct the work of engineers, program managers, technicians, and consulting engineers on assigned projects.
- Proficiency in reading electrical one-lines, control drawings and schematics.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to make decisions which have low to moderate impact on immediate department.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: reach, push/pull, ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level, and occasionally outdoors in sometimes inclement weather. Worker may be subject to hazards including variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in places of height, or close quarters. Must be capable of up to 15% travel (e.g. 3.5 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job, and the employee must have the ability to drive and have proper licensing.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2800 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an EEO Employer.