Under general supervision, an employee of this class is responsible for directing the competitive bidding process and overseeing the management of contractual agreements for the purchasing of equipment and supplies; responding to a range of inquiries regarding procurement processes or bid status and has a leading role in procuring goods and services.
Responsibilities involve implementing public purchasing policies to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws, rules, procedures and regulations, interpreting policies, regulations pertaining to purchasing and disposal of surplus property; coordinate the process by determining the need for bids, developing the specifications, overseeing the advertisements, the evaluation, and making recommendations as necessary
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of modern purchasing methods, procedures, and public competitive bidding process
- Thorough knowledge of acceptable and legal business practices dealing with vendors including the understanding of legal aspects and procedures as they relate to the competitive bidding process and contracts
- Knowledge of purchasing best practices, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of strong functional and moderate technical skills in business system applications and Microsoft Office
- Ability to effectively communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Minimum Acceptable Training and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in public administration, business administration, finance, or other closely related field, and five (5) years of high level public procurement and purchasing experience including the writing and negotiating of procurement and contractual agreements or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certifications as a Certified Public Procurement Officer (CPPO) or Certified Procurement Professional (CPP) or other related certifications are preferred.
Orange County provides a competitive benefits package:
- Participation in the North Carolina State Retirement System; Orange County contributes 7.56% of your base salary per pay period and 8.25% for LEO.
- Health Insurance- pays 100% of employee premiums for health insurance and a portion of dependent premiums.
- Dental Insurance- pays 100% of employee premiums
- Life Insurance- pays for an employee life insurance policy
- Vision Insurance
- Optional Life and Disability Coverage
- 401 (k) and 457 Deferred Compensation Plans
- Paid Holidays and Sick Leave
- Annual Leave
- Various other leave programs including civil, funeral, parental, etc.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Women/Minorities/Veterans/Disabilities